Why do teams matter to you?
Teams always matter. I am lucky enough to belong to several teams; they give me a sense of belonging and – when we work together well – make me feel great. As a psychologist, I love helping people to understand more about their individual and team behaviours – and what to do more of to create and promote that sense of well-being, which ultimately leads to great performance.
From your experience what makes a team great?
Sharing a strong identity is really important. Having values and behaviours that you can identify with – and developing a sense of trust so that you can be open and honest about what’s working and what isn’t.
I am a Business Psychologist with more than 20 years’ experience of assessing and developing people at work – and have been working with the Centre for Team Excellence since 2010. Prior to my first degree in Psychology, and my masters in Occupational Psychology, I did a Psychology A level – back in the day when psychology was viewed with deep suspicion. I love it now that scientific research is genuinely helping us to understand how our brains really work – and how we can use that knowledge to help people at work, particularly in team and individual development. Psychology is serious stuff!
Most enjoyable career moments (in no particular order)
- It’s more the themes that stand out for me – rather than particular moments. For instance, I get a real sense of enjoyment and satisfaction when I feel I’ve made a difference. In my case that usually comes as a result of working with individuals or teams – helping them gain insight into the psychology that drives behaviour. This knowledge really helps people to understand why they (and others) react in certain ways – and can then lead to acceptance or change – depending on the situation.
- I also love variety – and am fascinated by how different companies work. So other really enjoyable career moments have come from projects where I have worked abroad and seen at first hand how global organisations pull together people’s different cultures and skillsets.
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology from the University of York
- MSc in Occupational Psychology from the University of Hertfordshire
- Principal Practitioner, Association for Business Psychology
- BPS Registered Qualified Test User for Ability and Personality
- Qualified to use a wide range of psychometric tools
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-102027814-1’, ‘auto’);