Why do teams matter to you?
When teams work well, you get a real sense of synergy. A team at its best can produce far greater results than the collective outputs of the individuals on their own. Personally I seek to part of teams that help me really achieve my potential. As a psychologist I get a real buzz from helping leaders do the same for their teams.
From your experience what makes a team great?
Great teams are where people have a sense of belonging and a real sense of pride in the team and what it is trying to achieve. They also can clearly see how they contribute to it. In teams where people are not afraid to challenge each other, and are willing to be challenged themselves, the team achieves a higher level of performance.
I am a Chartered and HCPC Registered Occupational Psychologist with 32 years’ experience of designing and delivering structured assessment and development programmes for senior leaders, teams, managers and professional staff, and graduates. After achieving a psychology degree from the University of Birmingham and Master’s in Occupational Psychology from Cranfield, I have specialised in a career in consultancy, working with a broad range of UK and international clients, in the public and private sectors. I have been working with the Centre for Team Excellence since 2003.
Most enjoyable career moments (in no particular order)
- Working closely with colleagues to deliver an international leadership development programme for the Top 200 procurement managers in a global pharma company was a great experience. Working with delegates from different cultures to help them be more effective in leading their teams was enlightening and great fun.
- Designing development programmes for first line managers to help them take on the challenge of leading teams for the first, was a great opportunity to help shape delegates’ development at this early stage in the leadership career.
- Developing an assessor training course with Jay while consuming 2 bottles of Tattinger on a plane to Saudi, and getting through both of them before we hit the ‘dry air space!’
- BSc (hons) in Psychology from University of Birmingham
- MSc in Occupational Psychology from Cranfield
- Chartered Occupational Psychologist, HCPC Registered Psychologist
- BPS Registered Qualified Test User for Ability and Personality
- Qualified to use a wide range of psychometric tools
- Qualified Tai Ji Instructor