Founder & CEO
Why do teams matter to you?
Some of the teams I’ve belonged to have been amazing, and others not; the contrast was stark and had a profound effect on how I felt and performed. Of course, organisations and leaders want to give everybody the best chance possible to experience being in an amazing team, but they just don’t know how. The work we do gives more people the chance to belong to a great team.
From your experience what makes a team great?
I used to think it was about getting the right personalities together and “bonding.” Now I know that isn’t it at all. Teams that develop strong shared beliefs about what makes them positively distinctive, become great. Surprisingly, with the right process it isn’t that difficult to do.
I am a Chartered Occupational Psychologist with 24 years’ experience of consultancy and coaching, training. I got a First Class Honours degree in Social Psychology from University of Kent and worked in London advertising agencies for seven years before taking an Occupational Psychology MSc at Cranfield in 1993. I founded the Centre for Team Excellence in 1999, having first worked in a small psychology consultancy.
Most enjoyable career moments (in no particular order)
- I love sport and for the last 2 years have started offering our services to top level teams. Our approach is different and we’re the new kids on the block, but our expertise appears topical as more and more coaches and managers talk about the importance of team identity. Last year I worked with Warwickshire CCC and went to Lords to watch them win the Royal London One Day Cup Final; I was invited to Twickenham to see the Royal Navy rugby team win the Inter Service Championship; but unfortunately, didn’t make it to Rio to see the GB Women’s hockey team win Gold.
- Recently, I designed and ran a leadership programme for the Top 200 procurement managers in a global pharma company that we delivered in Europe, the USA and Singapore. I like leadership development and have done it a lot over the years. The first leadership training I designed in 2002 for 80 Executive Directors of a venerable City Fund Managers taught me so much about how not develop leaders and what doesn’t work – everything since then has been an improvement!
- I love travel and working with people from different cultures. I’ve been lucky enough to have facilitated teams and leadership development in 33 countries across Europe, North America, the Middle East and Asia helping leaders and teams to improve performance. My favourite was a leadership development programme in Japan for 120 sales managers.
- Since 2007 I’ve run leadership programmes for Senior Officers for the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. This has included working with Admirals, Generals and Air Vice-Marshalls to develop their senior leadership teams across defence including for RAF No 1 Group, the Surgeon General, the Chaplain-General, Joint Helicopter Command, the UK Defence Academy, JSCSC and DE&S Ships Operating Centre in support of improved performance and organisational change.
- MSc in Occupational Psychology from Cranfield University.
- Chartered Occupational Psychologist.
- NTL Practitioner Certificate in Organisational Development.
- BPS Level A & B.